Sunday, February 27, 2005

I am coming down with a cold..

..or it might be the flu. I've had a shot taken so it won't hit me hard if that is the case.

One good thing about this is that i get to recommend my special cold cures. They are not scientifically proven to work, but heck. If you get a cold you'll try about anything, right?
  • #1. If the cold is well established and has already messed up your nose and lungs, bring a cup of water to a boil. add 1 clove of garlic, and about the same amount of fresh ginger, both cut in slices. let rest for about ten minutes or so. Add a teaspoon of honey and drink! This is soothing for a sore throat and helps clear the pipes as well. It's not very tasty but I like to pretend that it's some kind of Asian chicken soup. Without the chicken, that is.
  • #2. If you feel a bad one coming, but it hasn't really gotten a grip yet, this I have found VERY helpful. It has actually reversed my getting-a-cold-process several times. Which is helpful since in Sweden at wintertime, you pretty much get showered in sneezing on a daily basis on the buses and trams. Or anywhere with crowds for that matter. Ok, here's what to do: buy a huge pack(1 litre or so) of grapefruit juice (the real kind, not the ones made from concentrate). Drink it and drink it fast. All of it. My theories regarding this are: either you get an immune defense boost thanks to the vitamin C shock, or the entire body gets more sour(acidic?) and the germs and viruses die or head for another host or something. Well. My knowledge on this matter is somewhat limited, but I can tell you one thing: it WORKS. (those of you who suffer from a sensitive stomach should probably stick with cure #1)
I've heard of and once tried the legendary Ny-Quil, which is sold in the States but not to be found anywhere in Sweden. Those of you who can get a hold of that won't need my tips since you'll sleep through your entire cold anyway.

No comments: